We had an absolutely AMAZING holiday in Tuscany!!!! We enjoyed walking through the vineyards in the morning, meandering in the shady paths filled with wild and fragrant rosemary in bloom, learning how olive oil is made, tasting different ages of the Chianti wine and learning how the wine is made and stored.
-Teresa & Dan Schmidt and Kristina Balzarini
**The Chianti Wine Tour is available from Florence or Siena city center. Further pick-ups are available at an additional fee.**
Your Chianti Classico Wine Tour adventure begins when your personal driver comes to pick you up at your accommodations. After a leisurely drive through the beautiful Tuscan landscape you've always imagined, your first stop will be an exclusive Chianti winery rated highly by the most influential European and American wine publications. Your tour through the winery will begin with a guided tour, led by an English-speaking winery expert, of the historic estate's wine cantina and cellars. The winery guide will introduce you to the world of wine and winemaking, to its history and legends. A guided tasting of the winery's Chianti Classico and other local wines will follow. In addition to the wines being tasted, you might also have the chance to taste some freshly produced authentic Tuscan extra-virgin olive oil.
Your next stop will be in a small, lively Chianti village, either Greve, Radda or Castellina in Chianti. You'll have ample time to stroll through this special town, and will be able to shop for local specialties and handicrafts. By now it will be lunch time, and your stomach will thank you as you relax in a charming, typical Tuscan restaurant and devour enticing local dishes. After your meal, the afternoon will proceed with another Chianti Classico winery visit, equal in caliber and quality to your first stop. With your second guided visit and tasting, you'll begin to understand the range of aromas and flavors that are hallmarks of the delicious Chianti Classico red wines. Depending on where you are staying and your enologic preferences, the tour can be customized to include a stop to a third winery or a visit to a historic village or other point of interest, before returning to your accommodations.
Chianti Classico is truly the heart and center of Tuscany and its primary wine-producing area. The region's fame was confirmed in 1716 when Grand Duke Cosimo III de' Medici issued an ordinance to regulate the local wine trade. This protection was necessary to safe-guard the genuine Chianti wines from mislabeling by unscrupulous wine merchants looking to pass off lower-quality wine as authentic Chianti red wine. Tuscany therefore became the first European state to safeguard an appellation of origin (a label used to distinguish wine varieties).
Today the Chianti Classico area is one of Tuscany's most prestigious, highly-regarded DOCG areas. The symbol of the Chianti Classico consortium is the gallo nero or black rooster, which you will see adorning road signs and wine bottles throughout the countryside. The Chianti area was further developed in the mid-1800s by Baron Bettino Ricasoli, who made Chianti wine with a combination of Sangiovese grapes for strength and character, Cannaiolo grapes for grace, and Malvasia grapes for zest. However, this wine was unsuitable for aging, and had to be consumed while still young. The modern recipe for Chianti Classico dictates at least 80% Sangiovese grapes with the remaining 20% to left to the winemaker's discretion. Modern Chianti Classico is often well-suited to aging, particularly the Riserva wines.
Any other goods or services not listed above.
We strive to ensure private visits at the wineries, however in particularly busy times of the year, or in certain wineries this may not always be possible. If you want guaranteed private visits please get in touch for a customized quote.